The Queensland integrity regime
The Office of Integrity Commissioner is one of a number of statutory bodies that have been created by Parliament to maintain and enhance the integrity of the Queensland public sector.
The Integrity Commissioner’s role is limited to providing advice to Ministers, MPs and senior officials about ethics or integrity issues, including conflicts of interest. The Commissioner is also responsible for maintaining the register of lobbyists and monitoring compliance with the Act and the Lobbyists Code of Conduct.
These agencies provide advice about integrity and accountability matters.
The Public Service Commission (PSC) is administratively responsible for the Public Sector Ethics Act 1994 and:
- reviews the Code of Conduct
- considers requests for approval of agency standards of practice
- provides ethics advice and support to public service agencies.
Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) is a statutory body that investigates both crime and corruption, has oversight of both the police and the public sector, and protects witnesses.
Queensland Ombudsman’s Office is an independent complaints agency that:
- provides a fair and effective investigative service for people who believe they have been adversely affected by a decision or action of a public sector agency
- monitors and reviews the management of public interest disclosures (PIDS) under the PID Act
- provides training about ethical decision making.
Office of the Information Commissioner is an independent body that promotes access to government held information and protects peoples personal information held by government under the Information Privacy Act 2009.
The Queensland Audit Office provides Parliament with an independent assessment of the financial management related activities of public sector entities to enhance public accountability.
Queensland Independent Complaint Agencies - various independent complaint agencies in Queensland and across Australia that investigate complaints about government departments, local councils and private organisations.